Tying a tie...

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Internship is only two days old and it has already thrown some problems my way, the biggest is i dont know how to tie a necktie. The only other time i wore a tie was in high school since it was part of the school uniform. Back then it wasnt a problem since hoyo would just tie it at the start of the term and i would use it for the next three months. There was no need to wash it since we were in a boys boarding school.

As if choosing the tie to wear wasnt difficult enough, i had to wake up my cousin to tie it on my 1st day. After making a fuss of the fact that i had woken him so early in the morning (It was already past seven), he made it in a funny way and noticing that i didnt fancy it that way, he called it the "british style" of tying, clearly using my ignorance to justify himself. Being my 1st day, i wasnt prepared to take risks with my image (I had read somewhere that 1st impressions were very important in shaping peoples opinion towards you), so i called a friend and went to his office who did it for me.

At office, my supervisor decided to give me a tour of the office against my will, starting with our department of which he is the head to all the other departments. He is a nice guy, my supervisor...sadly, so far that is about the best thing i can say about that company...on 1st impressions.

Back to the tie, i googled it. I learned that there were so many ways to tie a necktie...but there is nothing called "the british style" as my cuzo would have me believe. The problem is on the next day, i still couldnt do it. It was the same friend, laughing his ass off, who did it for me. Now i have printed the instructions and have been practising these weekend. Hopefully, by tomorrow, i'll have the finished article.

Posted by wasmaniac at 6:34 PM  

4 comments:

Urm, is tying a tie that hard, surely not? I used to wear one when I was in high school too (and a few times since).

What exactly did you find difficult? Post some of the instructions you found and let's have a look.

Firefly said...
10:32 PM  

"There was no need to wash it since we were in a boys boarding school."

LOL! So what else did people neglect to wash in a boys borarding school then? Actually... I don't really want to know. :I

Dahab said...
7:52 PM  

Firefly: Tying a tie is not hard to many people, but to those like me who have hand brain coordination issues, it becomes lots more hard.

dahab: lol gal...dont let your imagination stray too far. We were more hygeinic than i what i seem to suggest...

wasmaniac said...
6:19 PM  

Am sure you still remember we use to sing in schools back Kenya...

Mr.Kantai can tie a tie, if Mr.Kantai can tie a tie, why can I tie a tie...????

There is a "British style" and the "American style"..synonyms of where they are done best..A brit will screw it with a big "V"...the American will try to squeeze it like a "casanova"...and it is still a tie..

DALAHOW said...
9:03 PM  

Post a Comment